Sep 5, 2012

Dancer in the Dark (2000)

There have been movies in the past that have affected me. Movies like Schindler's List, Braveheart, Awakenings... movies that are powerful, that force me to feel things regardless of whether or not I want to feel them.

Dancer In The Dark made me feel anguish throughout my entire body. My head was pounding. All for a character in a movie. I couldn't help it. My eyes were sore from crying. I haven't cried that much and for so long since my grandpa's funeral. He was the first member of my immediate family to die, and I couldn't handle it. I was a mess that day, and I was the same way from this movie.

It started out innocently enough. Bjork plays the lead so amazingly. She's completely natural and believable. It's a quirky film, and I was never really sure where I was being taken, I just knew we were going somewhere. Like Bjork's character in the film, I was led almost blindly along, enjoying my journey, not realizing where it would end.

The entire cast was fabulous. The movie is part musical (at least in her head), and it didn't bother me one bit. I like Bjork's music, and the songs she sang within the film had so much more meaning, as they related to her character and the story. She should have won an Oscar for this role.

The movie took a sudden, tragic turn without me realizing how tragic it really was. I didn't know how far they were going to take it. I didn't realize how much I had invested in her character. I had no idea they could make an ending so overwhelmingly sad and emotional. It was so beautiful, yet my body was convulsing, tears streaming down my eyes. I could not stop crying. Even after I turned off the TV and went upstairs.

What a horrible and fantastic movie that I will NEVER watch again.


Rating: A

No comments: