Apr 23, 2013

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

This film is incredible, and helped cement Paul Thomas Anderson as one of my favorite directors of all time. The soundtrack combined with the odd filming style and the unexpected story developments were mesmerizing and unsettling. I thought the opening sequences were amazing.

Adam Sandler has never been better, and sadly, never never will again. Emily Watson makes it look easy. This odd pairing somehow meshed perfectly onscreen. Familiar faces from PTA's other films popped up in just the right places.

I love movies that make me feel something deep down inside, and ideally leave me feeling uplifted at the end. Like Magnolia, my other favorite film from him, Punch-Drunk Love succeeds at this. Anderson has a way of producing just the right tone and mood for his movies. This is a must see.


Rating: A

No comments: