Apr 15, 2020

The Dawn Wall (2017)

As amazing as Free Solo was, both of these rock climbing docs are worth seeing. The Dawn Wall has its own unique backstories and points of drama outside of the climbing itself.

As a viewer, I was physically sweating while watching each one. For us non-extreme athletes, it’s hard to imagine simply camping on the side of a cliff, let alone climbing one. Then you see the dude crapping off the side of his platform into a plastic bag, and you’re like, “Oh yeah, these guys are nuts!”. I thought I was hardcore when I crapped behind a cactus in the desert during an ultramarthon and wiped my ass with a rock. Nope.

There are levels I’m not willing to aspire to. Not as stressful to watch as Free Solo (less risk of death), but you’ll still burn calories watching.

Rating: B

No comments: