Jun 23, 2020

It Follows (2014)

Scary movies give me a lot of anxiety, yet still I watch. It Follows is essentially a sexually transmitted curse that follows the recipient in the form of a person who is constantly walking towards them. Get caught--murdered. Intriguing concept. 

I was curious about the rules surrounding this transforming predator that only the cursed can see. Is it simply invisible? Can it hurt others? Can it interact with the physical world? Does the speed at which it walks correspond with the distance and time people are traveling in the movie?

All of these things matter to me because I HATE lazy story writing. Thankfully these questions were answered and I was satisfied with their treatment.

The scares come at you through sneaky jump cuts, disturbing music, and heart pounding attacks. I would have liked a more satisfying ending. A movie can jump an entire grade or more if it ends strong.

Rating: C+

No comments: