Apr 11, 2022

Spontaneous (2020)

 

High school seniors begin spontaneously blowing up, or popping, if you will. As far as movie premises go, I’ve heard worse. It really comes down to execution. And no, the teens weren’t being executed. 


My big takeaways from the film:


  1. The two teen girl leads have perfect eyebrows. None of that blocky or blading crap. Just normal, perfectly shaped eyebrows. 

  2. I didn’t buy the community’s reaction to exploding teens. There would have been mass hysteria, and much sooner. 

  3. A couple nice callbacks to films from my childhood–Back To The Future and E.T.

  4. Their dry/dark sense of humor spoke to me. 

  5. Blood sprays everywhere when they combust, but where did their skin, bones, teeth, etc run off to? Major plothole. 

  6. The number of students they had in quarantine is way less than they show later exploding and running around. Come on people. Math!!

  7. Also, why are they always running when there’s nothing to run away from? 

  8. If I explode into a pool of blood, I hope my family doesn’t get suckered into buying a fancy coffin. 

  9. There is no way they would permit or ask any of these kids to go back to school. Ever. 

  10. Not a fan of ambiguous endings. Explosions suddenly stop? No explanation as to why or what caused them? Lame. 


Rating: D+


No comments: