Jun 28, 2011

Hanna (2011)

A very non traditional action film that satisfies the indie purist as well as the Hollywood drones. Eric Bana and Cate Blanchet really added some weight to the cast. What stands out is the excellent score from The Chemical Brothers, and the terrific cinematography. You’ll be mesmerized by an extended shot of flamenco musicians and dancers, all the while thinking to yourself: “How did they get away with this?!?” There seemed to be a lot of cinematic leeway given to the filmmakers, which I am fully in support of.

I didn’t recognize the director, Joe Wright, but after a quick IMDb search, I recognized several of his previous films: The Soloist, Atonement, Pride & Prejudice. None of which I’ve seen. I plan to now. The first ¾ of this film are brilliant. The last fourth was good. The wrap-up is always the hardest part.

Rating: B+

2 comments:

Karen's Vegan Kitchen said...

I'm not wild about action films but I do love indie films and flamenco music & dancing. I'll be sure to pick this one up.

Supercords said...

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised--it's a thinking man's action film. Also, that veggie burger recipe on your blog looks really delicious. I've never cooked with quinoa before. I'm a meat eater, but I love my vegies just as much.