Jul 15, 2011

Brigham City (2001)

As a Mormon, I was a little nervous going into this film. Yeah, I saw Dutcher's first effort, God's Army, and was moderately impressed. (for a first effort) This is a great sophomore film and doesn't get quite so schmaltzy into the religious stuff as God's Army did. Is there plenty of LDS footage and jargon? Oh yes! Do we get to see a baptism, Sacrament Meeting, family prayer, and the Aaronic Priesthood going door to door? Sure do! Does it impede or take away from the story being told? Not at all!

What we got here is a zig zagging murder mystery that takes place in a small, Mormon town: Brigham City. I've driven through Brigham City, and it's exactly as it's portrayed in this movie. I was afraid punches would be held because of who was directing and where it comes from, but I was actually on the edge of my seat in some parts; sucked in emotionally in others. Brimley added great comedic moments which broke up the tension. And yes, I was stupefied as the rest of you on who the killer was. I suggest not even worrying about it. Just sit back, pop in this DVD, and enjoy.

Rating: B-

No comments: