Jul 15, 2011

Watchmen (2009)

I wasn't sure what kind of movie to expect going in, and now, having seen it, I'm not quite sure what kind of movie I saw. I thought of "Sin City", but in full color, including the requisite Bloody Red. However, Watchmen aspires to be much more than Sin City. It's a thinking man's movie in addition to being a "bones popping out of skin" man's movie. There are plenty of shout-outs to Snyder's previous film "300" as well.

I liked the back and forth storytelling style we've grown accustomed to from shows such as LOST. There's a lot happening onscreen, but I never felt confused. Zack Snyder's signature touch is transfused in the celluloid. Characters are rich and obscene. Long dramatic stretches will abruptly be interrupted with extreme bouts of violence. The kind of brutality that is so over-the-top that it makes you giggle with immoral delight.

Visually, it's a great film, but conceptually, the story is not as compelling as it would like to be.

Rating: B

No comments: