Jan 11, 2013

Cloud Atlas (2012)

I read somewhere that Cloud Atlas was a book that nobody thought could be made into a competent film. I didn’t read the source material, but I felt the movie succeeded on many levels. Several complicated narratives taking place throughout different times and places in history were interwoven into one tale. The same themes were conveyed in each one.

The same troupe of actors were transformed via make-up and costumes in order to play a vast array of disparate characters. The sets and cinematography were very impressive. The film held my attention and kept me fully engaged throughout its lengthy runtime.

Despite all these positives, the movie didn’t blow me away or strike me as something I’d want to immediately tell others to see. I enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it. My reviews are generally based upon how entertained I was. And with that in mind, Cloud Atlas earns a…

Rating: B-

No comments: