Jan 4, 2013

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Män Som Hatar Kvinnor) (2009)

I had the fortune of having my hotel in Baltimore within walking distance of the Charles Theater where this was playing. It's a rare opportunity for me to see an art house film in an actual theater rather than at home on my couch. The movie builds slowly, even awkwardly, but gathers momentum and clarity in time.

The lead actress is excellent in a very meaty role. I didn't read the book, and therefore was not prepared for the rough subject matter. I'm glad the filmmaker didn't shy away from it though, otherwise the resolutions would not have been as rewarding.

This is an adult film with adult themes. Sometimes it's nice to be treated like an adult when most Americans are being treated like toddlers via films such as Grown-ups.

Rating: A-

No comments: