Feb 19, 2012

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (1982)

I saw one of the earlier cuts of this film ages ago, and I wasn't impressed. But with so many people praising it over the years, I figured it was time to give it another shot. Perhaps my young sensibilities hadn't matured enough to appreciate this dark noir.

Turns out I was right the first time. Terrible character development. I seriously didn't care about anyone in the movie. Deplorable editing. The camera pans for eons across a ridiculous cityscape of "the future". They could have cut out a good 30 minutes of fluff and used that time to actually tell a story instead.

In Blade Runner's vision of the future, it appears Asian Vampires have taken control of the universe, as it's dark 24/7 and the city has turned into one giant China Town. Space travel is a cinch, however everyone still uses Commodore 64 technology. I have more computing power with my cell phone than they have in that entire city.

Maybe I'm missing the underlying social commentary. But who really gives two craps about underlying social commentaries when all you really want is to be entertained? Thank goodness Ridley Scott redeemed himself in his later years. One of the most over-hyped films of all time.

Rating: F

2 comments:

RK said...

Really? I hadn't heard much hype about this one before I saw it and I found it really, really good. I'm gonna download Sin City now that you gave A+ to see if we have totally opposite tastes. Nice blog anyway!

Supercords said...

This is widely considered one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. But I often find myself standing on the opposite side of what the majority likes. Let me know what you think of Sin City.