Mar 19, 2013

[REC] (2007)

And….. exhale. I spent half the film holding my breath, and the other half covering my mouth to muffle involuntary screams. They’ve managed to use the documentary filming style and lost footage device to great effect in this Spanish thriller. Not since The Blair Witch Project have I felt such pangs of fear right alongside the cast.

Technically, this is a zombie flick, along the lines of 28 Days Later. The origin reveal at the end seemed a bit hokey to me, however, their patient zero nearly had me reaching for a change of underpants. Once things get underway, the pace is exceptionally fast. At under 80 minutes, I almost wish they had let the camera roll a little longer. I haven’t yet seen the Hollywood remake, but I have a feeling it won’t live up to the original.

Rating: B

No comments: