Mar 21, 2013

Witness: Katrina (2011)

Exactly what I hoped it would be. A chronological telling of the events of Katrina through the eyes of those who experienced it first hand. The footage is amazing. It's like watching a disaster movie in real time, but with Mother Nature providing the special effects.

I was having a tumultuous debate in my head the entire time about my personal feelings on the whole Katrina thing. On one hand, I felt a lot of people were getting what they deserved for stupidly ignoring the evacuation notice and putting themselves and others in harms way. On the other, I felt terrible for the sick, elderly, and others who were unable to escape in time.

But then there's the logical side of me that thinks "What do you expect when you live below sea level in a major hurricane zone?!?!" Like I said, I have mixed feelings. I'm sure I'll be even less sympathetic when it happens the next time and our country goes broke rebuilding homes in the same stupid spot. My personal opinions aside, the documentary is riveting. Loved it.

Rating: B

No comments: