Mar 18, 2013

The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)

I found the general premise of this movie to be stupid. Making such a big stink over the officers not doing manual labor seemed very snooty, and frankly, “British” to me. I felt disdain for the characters they wanted me to care about, so it was of no consequence to me how they were treated by their evil Japanese captors. So now the officers get to play slave masters to their men instead of the Japanese guards? Hooray!

Additionally, old films are difficult to watch, as you have to endure things like night scenes, where it’s obviously mid-day, with shadows being cast from every object in the shot. Kwai is overly long and in dire need of a good edit. Additionally, the ending sucked. It’s as if the director abandoned everything he had spent the entire film convincing us to believe. What was the point.

Rating: D-

No comments: