Sep 12, 2013

Earthlings (2006)

I put off watching this for a long time, knowing that it was going to be worse than any horror movie I’ve ever seen. Worse because the gory scenes are real, not staged. There is footage shown that depicts some of the most cruel, inhumane, and gut-wrenching scenes you will ever see. (Also known as standard operating procedure at businesses around the world, particularly the US.)

I lived most of my life purposely unaware. I knew in the back of my mind that this kind of stuff went on, but I made sure not to dig too deep. Doing so would mean having to drastically change my way of life. I’d say 99% of the population falls into this category. They aren’t mean and cruel people—they simply prefer to stay uninformed, because it’s easier. I did too.

However, once you watch a dozen or more tamer documentaries, you suddenly realize you know too much and can no longer claim ignorance. That’s when you obtain a copy of this documentary and make yourself ill by seeing what you had somehow hoped was simply an urban legend. It’s not. Our species is unnecessarily perverse in our treatment of others. This doesn’t come as a shock, but watching this documentary will show you how much larger the scope of this cruelty is compared to what you thought possible.

It’s doubtful anyone reading this review will watch the movie, and frankly, I don’t blame you. Who wants to sit through a 90 minute downer? Nightmare fodder for years to come. Apparently me. Bring a vomit bag.

Rating: C

No comments: