Sep 12, 2013

Twilight (2008)

I was glad I was able to see this film not having read the book, heard about plot points, or watched any of the previews. I enjoyed it for what it was, not for how faithful the book adaptation was or wasn't.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Acting was solid, story pacing was nice, the cinematography was gorgeous, and the action wasn't bad. I was expecting things to be much more watered down.

What interested me the most was the excellent direction. The name Catherine Hardwicke didn't ring any bells. Sometimes these kinds of films are given to unproven first time directors who've previously been making music videos or commercials. Had I known she directed the controversial film "Thirteen" I saw at Sundance back in 2003, I wouldn't have been worried at all.

Rating: C+

No comments: