Jun 11, 2013

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

After suffering through the complete garbage that Night of the Living Dead was, I had extremely low expectations for the sequel. Wow, was I ever wrong. It actually starts off fairly weak, but slowly completes a sea change into a great film.

Having already seen the remake, I had an idea of what to expect, but now I can see the remake was more of a retelling, as the original is still very original. The only real similarity between the two is that they end up in a shopping mall with zombies. Beyond that, they are two completely different films.

I have to admit, I thought the writing and plot twists in this film were much better than the remake. Much more goes into the underlying story. There's also great humor to be had, most of it dark. The acting is 100 times better than in Night of the Living Dead, although that's not saying much. A must see for any zombie fan.

Rating: B+

No comments: